I have to agree strongly with Jim - for me, the K3 does not need any form of
external processing or "extras". I receive an unusually high number of
unsolicited comments about the quality of my audio. In fact, here is the
latest email I have received about it after working a few NA contacts on the
75/80m DX window:

--------------------------------
Hi Andy,

I was talking to David, W6ANR today he informed me you are running K3
transceiver and you had the best audio he has ever heard from any K3. So I
am asking if you could give a run down on all your setting as you have them
on your radio that pertains to Audio so I can help my neighbor Bob, W9KNI
get his dialed in. His sounds lousy and he has always been a CW man but has
now been enjoying using the mic instead of the paddle.  He has had comments
that he need to dial in his audio so I told him I would help. SO maybe with
all your setting etc I can have a good place to start as I am not to
familiar with that radio.

I hope your summer was a good for you? Here we are anxious for spring to
arrive so I can get out and do some real work out in the yard and get the
veggie garden started.

Best 73,

Rich K7ZV
--------------------------------

Here is my reply to Rich:

Hi Rich,

Great to hear from you - it has been a long time since we have worked on
80/75m. I haven't been very active lately, due to work and family
commitments.

I hope I am not going to disappoint anyone when I reveal my audio setup on
the K3 as it is far from spectacular..hi hi. The fist mic I was using is a
five dollar CB type that you could find at any hamfest (no kidding!). I have
not adjusted the TX equalizer so it is still at the factory default (all
"flat"). I do use the compressor, but only allow it to indicate between
about 5-10dB on the meter. I also always make sure the ALC bargraph
indication is well below the upper limit.  For what it's worth, my mic gain
is set to 23 and the compression setting is at 19.

Not very fancy is it? I found the K3 to work well "out of the box". As the
old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".