Interestingly while over in england for the weekend installing My wifes K3 I
had a similar experience

I was interfacing the new DEMI 70MHz transverter which needed 5W drive at
10m

So i set up the transverter to use the antenna 1 connector. When producing
5W the K3 thought the SWR was 4.5 to 1. Inserting an swr meter between K3
and xverter showed that the swr was 1.1:1

as an experiment I engaged the atu, which not surprisingly convinced the k3
the swr was 1:1. The swr meter still showed 1.1:1

I then put the ATU into bypass mode and this time it showed swr of 1.1:1
rather than 4.5:1, which didnt make sense

Dave

G4FRE