You are absolutely right. The RF gain doesn't work in frequency entry mode
either. Curiously the 4 little encoder knobs do. You can change bandwidth,
mic gain and compression freely. I think it's important that the AF gain
always works, so this ought to be fixed. I have had mine for two years and
never noticed this.

AB2TC - Knut