Gents --

   I am not sure where the misinformation began that I use 5-pole
filters.  None of the K3s used by Radio Expeditions, and none of my
personal K3 radios, use 5-pole filters (other than the stock filter).

   My personal filter configuration at the time I bought my radios was:
2.7 kHz stock -- TX
1.8 kHz 8-pole -- forced for all SSB receive (even if DSP is wider), CW,
RTTY
1.0 kHz 8-pole -- CW, RTTY
0.4 kHz 8-pole -- CW, RTTY

   Radio Expeditions also includes 0.25 kHz 8-pole filters to aid in
searching for weak signals between strong ones in pileups; e.g., for
Ducie Island, when the band was open to Europe and we were trying to
find the weak Europeans in between louder signals calling from North
America.

   It is true that I run with AGC=off.  I have yet to find a combination
of AGC settings that sounds as clear as AGC=off.  This strategy isn't
for everyone and requires some care and discipline.
   -- I rarely do "casual listening" where AGC might even out signal
levels for comfortable speaker monitoring.
   -- I work hard for a very quiet listening environment, so that I can
hear 80+ dB of signal dynamic range.  With my headphones on, my noise
floor is the sound of my own heartbeat and the blood pulsing in my ears,
and I adjust the receiver so that the band noise is just above this level.
   -- I have an attenuator between my in-ear monitors and the radio
headphone jack.  The K3 audio output amplifier can not deliver a loud
enough signal into my in-ear monitors to make me go "ouch".

   The reward of this approach is an extraordinary clarity to signals,
and no residual gain reductions caused by static crashes or loud signals
hanging the AGC.

   [Bill W4ZV is correct: there is still gain control in front of the
A/D converter that cannot be disabled.]

73,
   -- Eric K3NA