On May 31, 2010, at 9:54 AM, Alexey Kats wrote:

> I apologize if my question is not related to elecraft products at all,
> but I am simply curious... Of all fine folks using Elecraft
> transceivers, do you still use straight keys or bugs? Or are you using
> paddles and keyers all the time?
>
> I am asking because so many times I am hearing almost the same code on
> the air with only two things changing - timing between letters and
> words and QRS/QRQ. Which usually means that people use paddles. So I
> wonder, do people still use straight keys these days?

I used a straight key in my Novice days (75-77), but once I got my code speed
above 13 wpm for my General, I graduated to iambic keyer paddles and haven't
looked back. I do enjoy making a few contacts every year during straight key
night, but generally I use paddles for casual contacts.

Now, for contesting, the computer generates virtually all the code, except for
certain fills I make with the paddles.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa...@arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901