Steve -

Great work.  I have 6959 that I got a day or two later than you.  I have
finished the Part 1 test with no problem.  This is my 3rd K2 (406 & 3638
done before).  All I can add to what has been suggested is this >  Check
every component before you soldered it in.  Sometimes I even turn the board
around (front to rear) just to get a better perspective and ensure that I'm
doing it correct.  But since you have it finished you can't do that now.
Also I ALWAYS inspect the board after finished with a magnifier to make sure
all pads are soldered and not shorted or left open.

I would suggest that you pull the front panel and reheat every connection.
On the switches you can heat them on the front side and add some solder (the
pins don't always go through the board).  That way they will make contact
through the plated through hole.  Good luck finding the problem.

John
NQ3RP