> Well I wouldn't say useless. I'm sure no recording is
> *exactly* like the
> original but I have often played back another station's
> transmission (eg to
> help them set up their audio to let them know how they
> sound over a long
> distance), and other people listening  (eg in the same
> net) usually say the
> KDVR3 is pretty close. I believe it's certainly close
> enough to be of use.
> Another way of handling it of course is to play the KDVR
> recording into a PC
> and email it but that's slower and less immediate.

I have a problem with that idea.

When I listen to the other station I hear his audio colored
by everything between his mouth and my ear. That would
include his mic, his audio system and transmitter,
propagation effects like multipath or noise, my receiver
characteristics, my speaker or headphones, and my hearing.

When I record him and play it back the audio is colored by
his mic, his audio system and transmitter, propagation
effects like multipath or noise to me, my receiver
characteristics, my recorder, my transmitter audio
characteristics, propagation effects again but back to him,
his entire receiver system, his speaker or headphones, and
his hearing.

I often shake my head in disbelief when I witness audio
playbacks as a disinterested third party, because what I
hear that is being recorded is rarely like what I hear being
played back as an example of how the fellow sounds. It isn't
what the first party sounds like, it is what the first party
sounds like after being run in and out through a different
receiver and different transmitter. The recorder is the
least of the worries.

Which leads me to a question.......

In the K3, is the DVR playback run out through the
transmitter on a wide bandwidth and perfectly flat so the
playback is at least a reproduction of what the receiver
wound up creating, or is the playback run though the
equalizer at the custom settings of the K3 transmitter's
owner?

To me, this is one of the silliest ways to adjust audio. An
on-site receiver with wide bandwidth and a good set of
headphones (or local recorder) is far more meaningful.

One of the most annoying things to me is someone recording
me and, with his S3 signal from a wet noodle antenna, saying
"this is how good you sound here".
:-)

73 Tom