Stewart,

Because a kite antenna can develop quite a charge from wind static if
nothing else, I would not trust any radio to reduce that charge.
Give some thought to the situation where yourself or someone else could
touch the wire - a DC path is not only for the radio protection, it is
for people and pet protection as well.

Besides, you do not want the COR protective devices in the K3 to fire
for any purpose - consider them as you would a fire insurance policy -
something you hope you never have to use.

73,
Don W3FPR