Huh... I'd have never thought to use a PIC for something like this...  I
swear one of these days I really should look into PICs but I've always
been the type to solve things with programmable logic or to go all the
way to an ARM based solution.  Recently did a project where cost was
king and was able to get 3 UARTs, Full speed USB, all the required
timers and PWM controllers, along with 2 SPI channels all into a sub 2
dollar coretex M3 part that would run at 72Mhz (however you had to run
it at 48Mhz to get USB to work right)....

This project could have been doing really quick and simple also with a
little GAL16V8 with probably a lot less "code".  But still a fun
project, great job!  Always great to see people adding in their own
little project nuggets to get what they need done.

~Brett (N7MG)