Bob,

On second reading of your email - what happens when you select SSB mode,
press PTT and talk into the microphone?  You should have RF output, but
only when talking.

If you have no output, check your microphone and the microphone
configuration header.  If the microphone requires bias, do you have the
proper resistor in place?  Do you have the configuration header wired
correctly for the microphone pinout that you are using?  Particularly
the AF line.

73,
Don W3FPR