From: Tom W8JI [mailto:w...@w8ji.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:00 AM
To: Brett Howard; elecraft
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Antenna Separation for Diversity

Brett,

No one can answer that question for you, because both antennas are
unpredictable in nearfield performance. Also the layout of the antenna and
what is around, under, and between the antennas is very important.

With such a large soup of unknowns, plus there might be other transmitters
on site (?), the only way to really know is to try it.

If you had a normal dipole and wanted interaction to a vertical of known
efficiency I have all that data. One thing I learned is minimum coupling
from a good dipole to a good vertical was with the dipole BROADSIDE to the
vertical, not at right angles as I assumed without thinking.

The problem is the Carolina Windom is nothing like a dipole and not nearly
as predictable as a dipole for nearfield or close farfield coupling, and
that goes on top of the other variables that are bad enough on their own.

Maybe you should go to an antenna forum, like on eHam or QRZ, armed with the

information of the safe signal level the K3 will tolerate. Other than the
safe signal level, this is really an antenna theory question and a good
answer would be too complex for a radio reflector.

73 Tom