W8JH (Ohio) wrote:

"I have not had ANY luck on 6 meters with K3 # 1713. I had been listening
with my 80m horizontal loop, which my Palstar BT-1500 tunes to a flat SWR on
6m. Nothing heard over a full year. Since I still couldn't hear anything I
built a 6m dipole a couple days ago and still no luck."

=====

As the Real Estate people say: the three most important things are
location, location, and location. When people call 6 meters "the magic
band" they never say whether they mean "white" or "black" magic.

My k3 (which I assume is an "average" K3) is a very good listener on 6.
I do have the external preamp, but don't use it more than about 20% of
the time.Sometimes it seems as if you can work stations on 6 with a
dummy load, and that is true...I once (successfully) worked a 10 hour
opening on 6 meters with the coax switch set to my tribander! (The dummy
load in that case was *me*.)

I do notice that dx-Sherlock never shows much in the way of end points
in the Ohio area. Local noon +/- is a good time to listen, and I do work
into IN and IL from western MA, FN32, but I can't recall working OH in
the last month or so. I don't ever hear the beacons in that area. Black
magic! If all else fails, you could check the K3 with a calibrated
signal generator and attenuator pads.

There has been some general discussion of antenna height. My 6 meter
beam is at about 25 feet, therefore well over a wavelength above
physical ground. No doubt a 110 foot tower would lend some advantage,
but my tolerant neighbors might not like me so well. I think my
collapsible flagpole/TV rotator gives a good account of its self.

John Ragle -- W1ZI