It is inevitable that the competitors would notice the success of the K3
and respond competitively.   Kenwood used to make quality HF radios but
long ago lost their way.  I would be interested in seeing a review when
one comes out.

In my travels I think there are a number of people who object to the K3
because they like the larger face and more traditional controls such as
individual band and mode registers.  Most of these HAMS have not
actually operated much with a K3. In my limited experience the controls
you most want to use while operating are right there and ready for quick
use in the K3.  It may be slightly slower to change modes or bands, but
it is not that big a deal.

I think there may be a market for an add-on module that sits next to the
K3 and offers more button and knob options.  This may sway the more
traditional.  We might speculate as to what we want, but I would
certainly add individual mode and band pushbuttons.

I envisage a box identical in size to the P3, so you would have your add
on module on one side, the K3 in the center and the P3 on the other.

It won't work any better than the K3, but it will look impressive for
those looking for the biggest box with the largest number of controls
and buttons.