It turns out that the rear panel jack is the culprit. I made an XLR to 8 pin
cable and a mini TRS to 8 pin cable and tested via the front panel. The mic
works just fine. The plan was to use the XLR to mini TRS and connect via the
back panel. The cable was tested through the front panel with the second
adaptor. This leaves the rear panel jack as the culprit. The Heil PR-20 mic
needs higher gain settings than the hand mic I tested  and they both needed the
higher mic gain to be set via menu. I'll try and diagnose the rear panel jack
later and I'm hoping the problem is something simple like a cold solder joint.
That might explain the really weak signal  when the mic is routed that way.

tnx,
Jim W5QM