Hi Craig,

You said:

>  I recently installed the sub RX and plan to use it
> for CW contesting.
> When running, I like to use Split with the xmit freq on VFO B.  I then
> tune
> the calling stations, if required, using VFO A.  I normally use a fairly
> wide BW (300-500 Hz) to avoid much tuning on strong signals.  I was hoping
> to use the "diversity" mode for this so that I could monitor two antennas
> at
> once, one in each ear.  If copy became difficult or if the other antenna
> was
> creating more interference than help, it would be useful to use the
> "balance" control to focus my attention on the signal I was trying to
> copy.

I personally don't think the K3 balance is that useful for contesting
because the knobs are too small, concentric, and in a cluster. I strongly
prefer switching on an external panel. The boxes on either side of the K3
select audio lines and the particular antennas, the rotary circle on the
sloped box to the left between the K3 and Yaesu controls directions.

http://www.w8ji.com/contest_station_w8ji.htm#Typical_160_Meter_Multi-op_Contest_Setup

The only time anyone needs diversity mode is when receiving weak signals all
from the same direction, or perhaps on SSB/RTTY so receivers are always
locked. The K3 already does everything we use in contests! Sometimes it just
takes an extra external switch or two to do things right, fast, painless,
and easy.

73 Tom