>  Definitely iconic - the D-104 was the overwhelmingly first
>  choice of the out-of-band-and-overpower CBers for use with
>  their modified Yaesu FT-101E transceivers in the 1970s.  Some
>  of those folks eventually "saw the light", got their ham
>  licenses, abandoned CB, and became good hams.

My first exposure to the D104 was in 1962 when I rode my bicycle over to see
Bob, W8YAT, who had an outstanding 160 meter AM signal with his Viking
Valiant transmitter. My neighbor Fred, W8IQC, used one on his Ranger I
transmitter, so they were very popular even in the early 60's and for
non-CB'ers. My oldest D104 has been with me since the 70's when I used it
with a Drake line. Still ticking just fine and still excellent audio after
all these years, and with the little cheap FET mod works great with either
low or very high impedance loads 40 years later!

73 Tom