There are two levels of filtering going  on.

The DSP (software) filtering is independent of the crystal  roofing
(hardware) filtering.  You set the roofing filters to automatically  kick in to
match what you dial for the DSP.  You have to tell the radio  what filters you
have installed and when you want them to kick in.  It is  all in the menus.
I have mine set up so the 500 hz roofing filter kicks in  when I reduce the
DSP to 600 hz.

Sounds to me like you don't have  the filters coordinated.

Buck
k4ia
k3# 101

In a message  dated 7/14/2010 10:45:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,