Well Don, I'm hoping I've found the problem. In removing the atu board
as part of the strip down to check toroids etc, I noticed that the pin
of P1 nearest the side of the kx1 on the atu board appeared
unsoldered. In the many times I have had this unit apart I had never
noticed this before. Fortunately, although many miles from home in a
foreign land, I have a miniature butane powered iron in the toolkit in
the car. I even found some solder!  The rx sounds much livelier now
and I am seeing more power output!

Thanks for the advice anyway. I probably would not have opened the
radio up again to look were it not for your suggestions!

73 Stephen