Understood.  My poorly described point was that the signal strength as
reported by the s-meter may not provide a good description of the signal
strength you heard which may be influenced by the ?bandwidth? of the
signal passing through the meter.  Readability can be influenced by
factors other than by signal strength.

How wide is the band being read by the s-meter circuit, and can signal
strength be influenced by the power distribution within that s-meter
band width, in particular by varying the TX or RX equalizer?

Rich
NU6T