On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 02:10:38 -0700, Kok Chen wrote:

>So, I would like to suggest that Jim try using a stronger noise
source than
>band noise.

You're exactly right, Kok. I wasn't pushing the K3 front end hard
enough. I found a much stronger noise source (a nasty switching
power supply that runs some low voltage lighting), fed it through
a DXE preamp and into the K3. The K3 was set for max RF gain, but
all the user gains were adjusted to minimize any obvious
overloading of the signal chain. I could, for example, hit the
audio chain harder and see significant harmonics and IM.

The new data is at the same link as the old data

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/K3FilterStudy-250HzRoof.pdf

Executive Summary

The plateau effect WAS an artifact of my not driving the K3 hard
enough. My higher level noise source was enough to move that
plateau down to about -60dB (referenced to the peak of filter
response). Another point relative to the dynamic range of this
measurement -- this is a somewhat impulsive noise signal -
individual, un-averaged, measurements show peaks 6-10dB greater
than the averaged data, so the K3 is, indeed, being rather
robustly excited.

IM would show up mostly as LF noise. The wide plots of response
with 250Hz DSP IF show LF noise to be more than 66dB down. The
small broad peaks at about 1.4kHz and 2.65kHz are also probably
IM, but they're at least 78dB down.

As to the use of broadband noise as a source -- the real world of
contesting and DX chasing does not consist of a few big sine
waves, rather, there are often several signals, plus noise, within
a few kHz of bandwidth, and for many hams, that noise can often be
nearly as strong as a strong signal. If you can figure out how to
use it as a measurement tool, noise is a FAR better representation
of the real world than even the world's best sine wave generators!

The new data DOES show tha the Inrad filters, as integrated into
the K3, are well behaved at their skirts.

The curves showing the roofing filter response with a 1kHz wide IF
clearly show that the 250 Hz filter is about 22% narrower than the
400 Hz filter in the range where my data can be trusted (above
about -48dB).  That's 333 Hz vs. 464 Hz at -6dB, 501 Hz vs. 645 Hz
at -30dB, 620 Hz vs 771 Hz at -48dB.  As a roofing filter, it is
clearly a 22% improvement the 400 Hz filter. That does, however,
fall far short of the 38% improvement suggested by the ratio of
the nominal bandwidth of these filters, 400 Hz and 250 Hz. I think
many of us still want a real 250 Hz filter!

The curves showing the cascaded response of the two filters with
the 250 Hz DSP IF shows very little narrowing of the response by
the narrower filter. To see significant benefit from cascading,
one would need to set the switching point of these two filters to
wider bandwidths  perhaps 500 Hz and 350 Hz.  K2AV noted that
many users have chosen this path, and it does make sense. If you
have both filters, it might also make sense to set the 400 Hz
filter to 400 Hz, allowing you to hear a bit more bandwidth when
you're running, and set the 330 Hz filter to 350 Hz so that you
can quickly narrow it down when the going gets rougher.

Thanks to all those who have commented on my previous measurements
and shown me the error of my ways. Two things I learned long ago:

1) You learn a lot when you stick your neck out and say what you
think you know. When you're wrong, or when there are things you
haven't learned yet, someone will tell you. If you don't have an
ego problem, that's a good thing.

2) He who does nothing does nothing wrong.

73, Jim Brown K9YC