Two Field Days ago I brought along a little clip-on lamp. It was small, bright
and very
convenient. Its 12v bulb was powered by a tiny switching supply.

It was only turned on for about a minute. Now I call it the Hissing Lamp from
Hell. I
don't know if it also generates the usual unstable noise vortices that roll
around the
bands, but it does produce a loud wideband hiss that sounds like nothing as
much as the
noise generator that I use to adjust my K2's filters. In fact, I could use it
for that
purpose.

Cheap switching supplies: really bad technology whose time has come!

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA