Tom,

Thanks for replying.  I have found this to be true with my computer
I/F.  In fact a common ground caused erratic PTT in the radios or
serious hum in audio.  In the current control box, I interfaced RTS
and DTR thru opto-isolators to isolate the computer ground and the
audio is coupled thru 1:1 600-ohm transformers with the computer side
floating from the radio ground.  The audio lines plug into the
computers normally with unbalanced shielded audio cables, thus are
grounded there.  This is mainly for interface with my FT-847 as the
K3 provides isolated audio interfacing directly.  The RS-232 is
routed thru the control box to either radio (switched) with normal
DB9 (sub-D9) connections.  They are connected all the time.

As I related to Tom, off the list, I do not experience lightning at
this QTH.  The coastal maritime influence apparently does not produce
it.  We only hear thunder maybe once in a few years.  So my questions
address only the ground-loop and safety issues.  We only hear
lightning crashes on 160 or 80m when propagation reflect activity at
a distance (on 600m my noise floor runs -115 dBm on the SDR-IQ or S3
on the K3).  Interior Alaska is subject to lots of lightning caused
wildfires, but not here.

73, Ed - KL7UW

Message: 13