> I quite recently flew to Europe from California, and back,
> with a KX1 and
> an HT and Buddipole (in suitcase).  I put a copy of the QRP
> Quarterly in
> my backpack, as it has a big ad for the KX1 in it, but they
> didn't look.

Five of us flew to 9L for CQ WW CW last year, hand-carrying three K3s (mine
in an aluminium camera bag/flight case, the others in laptop type bags or
ordinary carry-on bags), two Alpha amps (with the HT transformers separated
to avoid hernias), three switchmode PSUs, 5 laptops and assorted poles in
skibags, plus various wires and hand tools to make up a competitive M/2
station on the roof of an hotel in Freetown.  We were all impressed that if
and when the gear was checked by airport security, we explained what it was
and what we were doing and were allowed on our way, whether travelling
together as a group from G to 9L or individually from US, A6 and ZL to G.
We carried our amateur license papers but I don't think we were asked for
them.  We didn't take any SLA batteries.  That said, we had a fabulous local
helper in 9L and there were some "duties" to pay when leaving 9L - a few
dollars cash and lots of smiling seemed to do the trick  :-)

A couple of years earlier, I took a 2m HT as hand baggage on a trip from G
to ZL but, at the refuelling stop in A9, someone spotted it and insisted
that it was packed separately and handed to the pilot for the onward
journey.  If placing an HT or KX1 or K2 with internal battery in hold
baggage, I would suggest separating the battery from the radio and
protecting the battery terminals to avoid shorting and fire, or else
inserting a plastic spacer between radio and battery, to avoid it
accidentally transmitting in flight.

73
Gary  ZL2iFB