Paul asked:
> But be
> honest and give your best guess as to what percentage of the
> voting population would get beyond 5 while in the voting
> booth.

The examples I described, where I had voted positively and negatively for all 30
candidates in an
STV-PR elections, were annual postal ballots for the council of an organisation to
which I belong.
Electors had the luxury of having some weeks to study a one-page statement from every
candidate
published in the election booklet.

>  My guess is not even all of the EM-list subscribers
> would be as assiduous for an election that had 30 or 40
> different races in the election, each of which has 3-10
> alternatives.

We don't have this problem. The most we ever have is two elections of the same day  -
most commonly
two FPTP elections, both in single-member districts.  In Scotland and Wales we make it
a little more
complicated because we hold an FPTP election and a two-vote AMS (= MMP) election on
the same day, so
that's three "X"s on separate ballot papers.  But that's all.

As to the behaviour of real electors in real STV-PR public elections, here are some
results from an
analysis of the electronic "ballot papers" in the Meath constituency at the 2002 Dáil
election.
There were 14 candidates for 5 places.  The two largest parties (FF and FG) both put
up 3
candidates. Four smaller parties each put up 1 candidate, and there were 4 non-party
candidates.
There were 64,081 valid votes.  There is no restriction of any kind on the number
preferences a
voter may mark.

The average number of preferences marked was 4.65.  Every candidate was marked as
every possible
preference (1 - 14) by at least some voters.  The smallest group was 46 voters (0.07%
of total) for
one of the 14th preferences.  The largest group was 11,534 (18% of total) for one of
the 1st
preferences.

Number          Percentage
of Prefs                   of
marked          Voters
   1              5%
   2              7%
   3            33%
   4            19%
   5            13%
   6              8%
   7              4%
   8              2%
   9              1%
 10               1%
 11               1%
 12               1%
 13               1%
 14               4%

The surge at pref 14 is evidence of real negative voting on the part of some electors.
 One
candidate attracted 25% of the 14th preferences, another 19% and another 15%, with
much smaller
numbers spread across the other 11 candidates.

There was an interesting difference in behaviour between the 'supporters' of the two
parties that
both put up 3 candidates.  (Supporter defined here as a voter who gave his or her
first preference
to any one of that party's 3 candidates.)  Significantly more of FF's supporters
stopped at 3
preferences than did FG's supporters.  The balance was made up at 5, 6 and 7
preferences, with a few
more at 8, 9 and 10 preferences.

        Number
        of Prefs
        marked  FF      FG
          1     4%      3%
          2     6%      5%
          3     40%     28%
          4     20%     20%
          5     12%     16%
          6     6%      10%
          7     3%      5%
          8     2%      3%
          9     1%      2%
        10      1%      2%
        11      1%      1%
        12      1%      1%
        13      1%      1%
        14      3%      4%

Total number of Supporters:    FF = 28, 786    FG = 17,452
Between them these two parties gained 72% of the first preferences.

So my voting habits are not typical.  But I already knew that.  No one on this list is
a typical
elector.  If they were, they wouldn't be here.
James