Hi Adam,

On May 17, 2004, at 11:35 AM, Adam H Tarr wrote:

Right now, decisions are typically a force between options 2 and 3,
excluding the 'radical middle' option.

Some method of allowing the assembly to sort through options easily would be
nice. But it's not really crucial, since (again) it should be relatively easy
for multiple options to get out of parliament. But it would be nice to tie
mutually exclusive options (like the three above) into one package, to
streamline the voting process.

My concern is to ensure that the process is friendly to multiple-choice options. My fear is that the traditional yes/no vote could easily be used to hold the assembly 'hostage', by only giving them a choice between the lesser of two evils. At the very least, we should make sure we don't encode anything to prevent it.

Is the current focus on yes/no voting embodied in the Constituation (perhaps in the way it defines vetoes and decisions), or is it really an artifact of Robert's Rules?

It's also possible that members of parliament would themselves be powerful
proxies, unless that was specifically forbidden by law.

Ooh, very interesting point. Hmm, I wonder if that's a good or bad thing...

-- Ernie P.

Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D. <DrErnie at RadicalCentrism.org>
RadicalCentrism.org is an anti-partisan think tank near Sacramento, California, dedicated to developing and promoting the ideals of Reality, Character, Community and Humility as expressed in our Radical Centrist Manifesto: Ground Rules of Civil Society <http://RadicalCentrism.org/manifesto.html>