Dear election methods fans,

        I hope that someone finds this interesting... I've been working on
applying some of the tools of voting methods theory to other areas.
Specifically, well, to the area of romance! And at the same time, to
things like college admissions and the interaction between a work force
and a job market. It's a slightly different set of problems which
nevertheless feel relatively familiar to me after working with voting
systems.
        Actually, I've been working on this paper for some time, developing
different methods, putting off the actual writing of the paper. Still I
have some uncertainties left, but at this point I'm tired of staying
private with it, so here goes. The paper itself is a very early draft, but
eventually it's something that I'd like to try to get published. (Well,
that would probably be a shorter version of the paper, though, I guess.)
It's important that people speak up if any of these ideas are already in
circulation. I have thought of them very much on my own, but of course
it's not hard to imagine someone else doing the same.
        I invite any comments or questions about the paper that pop into your
mind. At this point I am trying to get real feedback.
        The paper can also be found as an html document at
http://fc.antioch.edu/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/voting_methods/reciprocal.htm
        And by the way, if anyone is interested in starting an internet business
with me based on this idea, let me know.

my best,
James Green-Armytage

James Green-Armytage
Reciprocal Pairing

Introduction
        Imagine a high school class with 100 people in it, some boys and some
girls. Imagine that each person was to fill in a secret ballot with their
first choice of boyfriend or girlfriend, as well as their second choice,
their third choice, and so on? If you could get all those secret ballots
together, could you play matchmaker and find everyone the best possible
partner?
        Imagine a public employment service which is trying to place 1,000
applicants into roughly the same number of job positions. Each of the
possible employers has a preference ranking of which applicants they
prefer over the others, and each of the possible workers have a preference
ranking of which jobs they would prefer. Is there a simple algorithm that
would combine these preference rankings into an optimal outcome?
        When students apply to colleges in the US, there is a complex system of
early action, early admission, waiting lists, and so on. The problem is
that colleges don’t know how many of the students they accept will enroll,
and therefore they don’t know how many students to accept in order to
reach the target enrollment. Is there an easier way?
        These three questions are mathematically very similar to each other. They
are similar to standard election methods theory, except that not only are
people voting on different options, but those options are other people who
are voting on them. Thus an optimal outcome depends on optimal
reciprocity, and a procedure which attempts to generate such an outcome
can be called a reciprocal pairing procedure.

Queue (line-up) method
        Let me start with a simple case. Let’s say that there is a small group of
prospective employees, and there is a small group of prospective
employers, each offering one job opening. The employees and employers rank
each other in order of preference.
        The most basic algorithm that can be used to determine the outcome is
best described using this metaphor:
1. The employers stand side by side, facing in the same direction.
2. The workers then line up in front of the employer who is at the top of
their list.
3. If more than one worker is lined up in front of an employer, the
employer then picks the worker who is most highly ranked on their own
list, and rejects the rest.
4. The rejected workers then line up in front of the next employer on
their list, that is, the one highest on their list whom they have not yet
been rejected by.
5. Step 3 repeats; the employers keep the workers whom they like the best.
It is possible that an employee who was previously accepted will now be
rejected because a more preferred applicant has filtered down.
6. Step 4 repeats, that is, newly rejected applicants will then continue
to the next employers on their lists.
7. The process ends by itself. That is, motion according to the above
rules will eventually stop. Some workers may not be paired with an
employer; such a worker will have been rejected by everyone on their list.
Some employers may not be paired with an worker. These employers will not
have had anyone lining up in front of them at all, or if someone did, it
wasn’t someone the employer considered an acceptable applicant.
Note: Again, the actual process of lining up, changing places, etc.
doesn’t actually need to occur in real life; rather it is mathematically
simulated using the ranked information provided. Disclosure of the
preferences of other actors is optional, and in most cases probably
undesirable.
Note: It is perfectly permissible for either employers or employees to
truncate their rankings, indicating that they would rather not be paired
at all than be paired with that particular option. An employee will never
line up in front of an employer not on their list, even if they have been
rejected by everyone else, and an employer will never accept an employee
not on their list, even if there are no other applicants.
        Now for an example. Let’s say that there are four prospective employees A
B C and D, there are three prospective employers R S and T (with only one
job opening each), and the rankings are as follows: