Hi all,

In response to a California columnist's call for proportional-representation <http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/columns/walters/story/ 10386675p-11306421c.html>, I wanted to suggest an overhaul of electoral policies based on Condorcet-style voting. However, this discussion seems to indicate that the term 'preferential voting' has way too many connotations, especially around IRV.

From a users perspective, I think the most salient feature of these systems is that voters (on the front-end) can list multiple options in order of preference. How those votes are counted is really a secondary (back-end) consideration -- what I'd consider an implementation detail, albeit a crucial one.

Therefore, for purposes of a high-level letter to a newspaper, I'd like to use the term "rank-order voting." That's more of a front-end view than the terms 'ranked ballots', which is how the counting system views them. I would probably still refer to Robert's Rules indirectly, as in:

One way to improve participation in California's electoral process is the use of rank-order voting, also called "preferential voting" in Robert's Rules of Order. This allows voters to rank options in order of preference, rather than merely picking a single favorite; done properly, it makes it easier to vote sincerely rather than having to worry about strategic considerations such as vote-splitting.

That is, I want to present the concept in a way that avoids the IRV vs. Condorcet discussion for now, but highlights the overall benefits. As such, is that a reasonably accurate (if incomplete) statement? Any suggestions on better phrasing?

Thanks,
- Ernie P.

NORMAAL - the Network of Radical Middle Activists and Learners
http://RadicalCentrism.org/normaal