At 9:25 PM +0000 8/31/04, Rob Brown wrote:
Eric Gorr <eric <at> ericgorr.net> writes:
 At 8:50 PM +0000 8/31/04, Rob Brown wrote:
 >Has anyone ever proposed such a thing?

Yes.

What do they call it? Is there any site out there which talks about it?

It's just a variant of Proxy voting.

The GVI at http://electionmethods.org/GVI.htm does what you are talking about, although it is set up around a political party.

Yes, my concern is that if you don't keep it simple (people still having it as
their only option to vote for one and only one candidate)....

I don't understand what would be so complex about adding several easily recognizable names to the list. Simply pick one and have the rankings essentially auto-filled for you.

If you choose to not pick one from this list, you can do the rankings yourself. I can't imagine this would not be important for general acceptance. People will want the option even if most do not use it.