Hello Gervase,

On Mar 24, 2005, at 03:00, Gervase Lam wrote:

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:15:52 +0200
From: Juho Laatu
Subject: [EM] Sincere methods

I already gave some support to seeing MinMax (margins) ("least
additional votes") as one potential "sincere method" (criticism
received too).

If you want something a bit more strategic resistant, Reynaud(Margins) might be a good step up.

I haven't unfortunately studied the characteristics of this method well enough to comment if it is the best. (I'll try to do my homework better and study all the proposed methods a bit more than I have been able to do so far.)

Comment on the use of terms "strategic" and "sincere":
A method that has been made "strategy resistant" is by definition different from the corresponding "sincere method" (=method that elects the best candidate based on our selected criteria when all the votes are sincere, i.e. without the need to care about strategic votes). Should I thus read your comment so that you see MinMax (margins) as a sincere method (the best one, or just one good sincere method) whose weaknesses with strategic voting can best be patched by using Raynaud (Margins)?

Best Regards,
Juho