Dave Ketchum Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 9:53 AM
> Black Box Voting gets overly wordy below, but the message is
> valuable and they have proved value in their previous warnings:

Those concerned or interested in this problem might find it useful to check out
these two websites:

Independent Commission on Electronic Voting and Counting at Elections
http://www.cev.ie/index.htm

Irish Citizens for Trustworthy Evoting (ICTE)
http://evoting.cs.may.ie/

The Independent Commission was set up by the Irish government after the
experience of using only e-voting in three
(multi-member) districts in the 2002 general election (STV-PR).  The original
plan was to roll-out e-voting across the
whole country for the elections in 2003.  That did not happen.

Here in Scotland we are almost certainly going to have e-counting in 2007 for
the MMP elections for the Scottish
Parliament and the STV-PR elections for our local government councils (that
will be held on the same day).  But we shall
record all our votes on paper ballots using the old-fashioned but reliable
stubby pencil.  The three ballot papers (two
for MMP, one for STV-PR) will then be scanned and the votes recorded by
intelligent OCR and then counted by computer.
And we shall have all the paper ballots if anyone wants to demand a manual
count - and we have plenty of experience of
manual counting of both STV-PR and MMP.

James Gilmour

----