On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:18:14 -0400 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
> At 03:47 AM 3/21/2007, Dave Ketchum wrote:

This one line of Abd's does not fit, for what follows is my words as
quoted by him.

>>On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:52:45 -0400 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

Back to my previous post:
>>Voters in a village give proxies to elders in their
>>village.  Village elders give proxies to town trustees in their town.
>>
>>While holding one effective voter proxy directly makes one an elder,
>>and holding one indirectly is enough to make one a town trustee,
>>there have to be limits on quantity of active elders or
>>trustees.  Anyone holding too few can combine with others to create
>>one active member (much like proxy, but I avoid the word on purpose):
>>     Very few, and no participation.
>>     Few more, and can vote in government, but not be more active
>>in meetings, etc.
>>     Enough to make one a dictator, and voting power is limited to
>>prevent this.
>>
>>While village and town give the ideas framework, more levels make
>>sense, and sizes could be tailored as makes sense.

Abd is into Free Association; I AM NOT.  So I delete his Free Association
words as not fitting the thread I started.

> In the village representation problem, process within the village
> would result in a small number of people, ordinarily, who,
> collectively, represented the entire village.
> There will always be some
> unrepresented people, for various reasons.

Likely new immigrants will not be eligible, just as such would not be
eligible to vote.

And some would not bother, just as some do not bother to vote.  Seems like
participation would be higher, for a proxy could be filed at ANY time.

> Suppose the voting power of U.S. Congresspeople depended on the votes
> that they actually received.... instead of them having power
> proportional to the district populations they represent. Might
> encourage high turnout, don't you think?

Do not know about turnout, but candidates would be desperate for more votes.

My proxies would be extendable to Congress, and making their voting power
depend on proxies held could get them listening to voters more seriously
than they now do.
--
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    people.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
                  If you want peace, work for justice.

----