Some random observations on the theme.

"Seats != power" seems to assume that there is a hard party discipline (=all party representatives will/must vote as told by the party). Or alternatively representatives could have different weights (different number of votes each).

You skipped the "normal" rule of proportional systems where votes = seats quite quickly. It has its problems but I guess also possible power measurement based methods would have some problems. Let's say there is a rule that one can modify the constitution with 75% of the votes. There are three parties: 45%, 45% and 10%. Should we now give the smallest party more power by allowing it to modify the constitution together with one large party in some cases (with only 55% of the votes)?

With 50% limit and parties 30%, 30%, 30%, 10%, should we allow minority decisions in some cases to allow the small party to decide in some cases?

One alternative approach would be to require higher percentage of votes in some cases, e.g. after decisions have been made with lower percentages for few times. In this case 30%+30% would not be enough any more in some cases but the the approval limit would go up from 50% e.g. to 65% at some point.

Note that if the parties will make majority decisions that then require all the party representatives to vote as decided this means that some of the party representatives may have to vote against their will. The party is allowed to wield power but part of the representatives will wild the power against themselves. The party has power but the representatives and supporters would in some cases be hurt by this power (maybe the alternative that lost had majority support among (all) the representatives and voters). The party "won" but maybe not all of its representatives and supporters.

I guess the basic idea behind party discipline is that this way the party is able to reach a better negotiation position. A party that is internally split 50%-50% on some question can still do horse trading and agree with some other party to support that party in this vote if that party will support this this party in some future vote. The power of the parties now follows the power measurement schemes instead of "votes = power". But in principle parties that together have sufficient majority may take a dictator role. It is hard to design systems that would eliminate the possibility of this kind of party negotiation level voting discipline (if one party can do this, why not a group of parties too).

Voting methods that would take the power measurement aspects into account may give more power to the small parties in order to allow them to decide more than they would otherwise be allowed to. This could lead to a strategic for the big parties to split at least formally but still after the elections use strong party discipline that would now cover all the party fragments.

How about using the more traditional votes = seats method and discouraging the use of the party discipline? That could be just a recommendation, or maybe a rule that would ban disciplinary actions towards representatives that have voted against the party majority opinion. One approach would be to introduce more structure in the party structure. I have few times promoted the idea of allowing a tree like structure within the parties (and between them too). That would make it easier to the right or green wing of a party to vote differently than the rest of the party (they could feel close to being required to do so in some "right" or "green" situations).

Also methods that do not rely on the party structure (e.g. STV) are more likely to lead to a having representatives that will make independent decisions, maybe sometimes working together with other right wing representatives, sometimes together with other greenish representatives etc.

I'm not aware of methods that would take some of the power measurement formula into account.

I welcome multi-winner discussions. No need and no reason to limit the discussions to the single-winner theme. (What would be the reason to do so? Often single-winner and multi-winner systems are alternatives to each others => both needed to cover the field properly.)

Juho