"If QLTD isn't cloneproof (and it isn't), then the result won't be
either, hence we could just as well go with first preference Copeland
(unless that has a flaw I'm not seeing)."

What is supposed to be the attraction of  "first preference Copeland"?
And how do you define it exactly?

The attraction of FPC (which is what I call Simmons' supposed Cloneproof extension of Copeland, but that wasn't cloneproof after all) is that it's extremely hard to do burial with it.

The definition of first preference Copeland is:

The candidate for which those who beat him pairwise gather fewest first-place votes, in sum, is the winner.

Simmons invented the method, I just use that name instead of "Simmons cloneproof method", as it isn't cloneproof. It's an extension of Copeland since the only information it takes from the pairwise matrix is binary; in this case, whether some candidate Y beats X, and in Copeland's case whether some candidate Y is beaten by X; thus "first preference Copeland".

I could also just call it "Simmons", I suppose, since the other Simmons methods I know of have defined names of their own and so wouldn't be confused with it.

First preference Copeland would be vulnerable to the situation where multiple candidates have equal first place rival scores. One way to solve this would be to use Schwartz, or Schwartz//. Another would be to use a positional system that counts second, third, etc, place votes also but only very weakly, like Nauru-Borda (or something going 1/10^p, p = 0..n); yet another would be to use Bucklin (if there are any ties, count first and second place votes of rivals, etc), and even another would be to have an approval cutoff and use Approval instead of first preferences (unless everybody bullet votes). I haven't tested the positional or Bucklin variants here so I don't know if those solutions would be any good. I'm not sure if it's possible to make a situation where two candidates are in the Schwartz set yet none of their rivals rank first or the rivals' ranked-first sum is equal for all. Perhaps that's possible if you make "dummy candidates" that collectively hog all the first place votes, but who each are ranked below the various other candidates enough times that they don't beat any of them? Something like
 Q1 > A > B > C > Q2 > Q3
 Q2 > B > C > A > Q3 > Q1
 Q3 > B > A > C > Q1 > Q2
..
In the general case, such scaffolding will work (block winners) with "Schwartz,". It won't work with Schwartz// unless you can somehow get all the Qs inside the Schwartz set yet still have them "cover" each candidate, first-preference wise, equally. But, (reading the "cloneproof Copeland" thread even as I'm writing this,) Schwartz//FPC would not be summable.