Dear Diego,

But randomness of FAWRB can cause institutional conflicts, especially if the minority faction leader was the winner.

My focus has always been to decide issues, not to elect people.

> My suggestion if your
scenario exists is:

1. Perform simultaneously an approval election and a PR election for an electoral college 2. If the approval winner has approval higher than a threshold (e.g. 2/3), s(he) is elected. 3. Otherwise the electoral college performs a multi-round approval election until some candidate has a score higher than the threshold.

OK, we need a game-theoretic analysis of this. My guess is that because of the multi-round provision there is the danger of not getting a decision in any predetermined fixed time. Also, there are probably a number of strategic equilibria and it so the impact of my vote will be difficult to foresee.

And, what is most important: It does not solve the problem at all, it only shifts the threshold for overruling the minority from 1/2 to 2/3. That's still not nearly democratic. You may suggest a much higher threshold, but then I guess no decision will be made at all...

Yours, Jobst