At 10:36 PM 12/18/2008, Kevin Venzke wrote:
Hello,

--- En date de : Mar 16.12.08, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <a...@lomaxdesign.com> a écrit :
>However, in defense of Venzke, he thinks that the situations where IRV
>is non-monotonic are rare enough that it's not worth worrying about.

What I think would be rare is that such situations (or the risk of such
situations) would have any effect on voter behavior.

This is more true than false. However, this judgment depends on voter ignorance or laziness, when strategic voting would substantially improve results. Further, eventually, we will see, I predict, the norm to be that full ballot images will be available. It's happening in San Francisco with limited images. (The "images" are ballot data summarized by the Opscan equipment, so, for example, what is legally moot may have been removed. I don't recall details, but certain possibly interesting voting patterns have been removed. (An example would be an overvote in a second rank, with no third rank expressed; this is indistinguishable, to my memory, from the same overvote but with one of the candidates, or another candidate, voted in the third rank. That is a vote where a reasonable voter intention could be deciphered, and even if the overvote itself were not resolvable, a better estimate of voter intentions as to the whole election could be made. But at the least, the claim is made that IRV leads to more ballot spoilage, or that it presents more opportunities for voter error, at least....)

So, some big election shows monotonicity failure, if some small set of voters had abstained, or voted insincerely, they'd have gotten better results. This is different from majority criterion failure, a remote possibility and arguably harmless possibility with approval methods. This would, if discovered, create a sense of illegitimacy in the election, and there would be, in addition, two reasonably likely outcomes: (1) the rejection of the voting reform -- and increased suspicion regarding all voting reform (in this situation, a majority might agree that the result was poor) -- and (2) increased use of strategic voting.

The idea that voters won't vote strategically misses a huge phenomenon: the use of vote cards in Australia, where voting strategy is decided by a political party, and then voters are advised. Many will follow this advice.

And, of course, there is truncation. And there will be lots of truncation, unless full ranking is required, and, not only is this unlikely to be used in the U.S., it's been found unconstitutional in the past. Full ranking was required in the Oklahoma application of Bucklin, and, contrary to what's been claimed or implied -- the voting system aspect of it, aside from the three-rank ballot -- wasn't an issue for the Court rejecting the method. It was the obligatory additional choice votes, when there where three or more candidates. So voters cast first rank votes, *and they weren't counted.*

>The real bite is with Center Squeeze.

I agree with this.

Thanks. You and me and nearly everyone who understands the issue.

> Highly speculative. Bucklin probably experiences about the
> same level of bullet voting due to LNH fears as IRV, not
> much more, because the "harm" only happens when a
> majority isn't found in the first round.

If methods typically won't require more than the top rank, then I guess
neither LNHarm nor monotonicity failures will be much of a problem.

With LNH, the "harm" is that the voter sees a second preference candidate elected rather than the first preference. In fact, in full-vote methods (only Range is different), a single vote never purely flips an election result, rather it turns an election into a tie or a tie into an election. Voter's won't be exercised about a rare LNH failure. Most voters will bullet vote in a situation where LNH is a real risk.

And, yes, methods in the U.S., at least, will not require full ranking, and for very good reasons. The Oklahoma case gave them in about 1926, as I recall. Dove v. Ogleby. Full ranking forces voters to vote for someone, effectively, whom they may detest, striking at the heart of the freedom of the voter. Democratic process only "forces" this when there really is no alternative, as agreed upon by a majority of voters. They would rather see the office filled by the Lizard than go vacant. In real democratic process, election failure is always an option that a majority can create -- or prevent.

Majority rule. Don't try this at home?

>In other words, Center Squeeze is a direct consequence of LNH compliance
>by IRV.

Well, MMPO satisfies LNHarm, and is nearly a Condorcet method.

I'd have to look at it. How does MMPO work? I worry about "nearly," but, sure, if the exception took extraordinarily rare conditions, and the results then were merely suboptimal, not disastrous.... I can imagine a method that uncovers the votes and uses them to decide other pairwise contests, but I'm suspicious of the claim.

>Interesting, eh? Top three. A Condorcet winner is almost certainly in
>there!

I think this is doubly likely if you arrange the incentives so that it's
likely that third place achieved that position better than randomly.

In other words: I want to have a TTR election where candidates risk being
spoilers if they place worse than third.

That would be a system where the candidate is risking damage to the overall benefit of the election. Did you mean to write it as you did? A spoiler typically will drop the "spoiled" candidacy one rank, not two.

By the way, I'm seeing, now, some work done in the last two decades on the Clarke tax or similar devices to give voters "incentive" to vote sincerely. However, it seems to me that under this is an assumption that voters won't vote sincerely, naturally.

The trick is to consider that their votes are some mixture of sincerity and "strategy," i.e., that the votes already take into account, for some voters, what the voters sense as a reasonable compromise. It seems that some of us don't trust that voters are capable of doing this.

The "incentives" may be trying to fix something that's not broken. We have *theory* that voters will "exaggerate" and thereby cause damage, but if we look at the simplest case, Approval, there is no Approval vote that makes sense that is actually "exaggeration." If two candidates are true clones, setting one's approval cutoff between them makes no sense, the voter would, by definition, be equally satisfied with the election of either and should therefore support both.

Sometimes at this point, it will be said, "But the voter wants his or her favorite to win!" Of course. That's a preference difference. The candidates aren't clones, for that voter. The voter is attached to one of them. The reason for the attachment isn't our business!

I claim that Range is strategically the same as Approval, simply with additional opportunities for a deeper expression of preference strength. We can assume, in Range, even though it may not be exactly true, that voters who express some preference strength in Range actually have a preference. And that when they don't express a preference, they do not consider the preference significant enough to warrant wasting a vote or fraction of a vote on it.

There is some indication, from a paper in progress by Warren Smith, that a mixture of "fully sincere" and "strategic" voting in Range produces less regret than either "strategy" alone. If this is true, the whole concept of "strategic voting" as some kind of negative must be examined.

In any case, a good voting system will not produce poor results with "strategic voting," but only, at most, results that have been mildly made less than theoretically optimal. All of the "nightmare scenarios" that I've seen presented for "vulnerability to strategic voting" in Range have been results where the "sincere voters" got a very, very good result!

The exception is Saari's "mediocre" election, where the supposed "sincere voters" simply follow a totally stupid strategy, a mindless approval-above-the-mean strategy, when we all know to avoid this in real life, we don't use that strategy, unless modified by estimated probabilities.

The *theory* of oscillation or endless regression based on feedback between polls and voter decisions is just that, a theory. It probably doesn't happen much, because there are other, stronger forces. Ron Paul might have made a good Republican candidate, but .... campaign funding would have to be addressed! I think Paul supporters could have overcome poll bias, the only Range poll that I saw on this (MSNBC Range 2, with votes of -1, 0, +1, and a default vote of 0 -- nice method!) showed Paul way ahead, far above the other Republicans. Even with participation bias, this was impressive. Same polls showed, at that time, Obama way ahead of Clinton. And, as I recall, McCain was, aside from Paul, the most approved Republican. I find that really interesting.... I should look again.

Voters aren't going to look at every poll and shift their voting decisions; many or most of them will only look at a few. Did anyone need a poll to know that the U.S. Presidential election was between Obama and McCain? Or that, in later Democratic primaries, it was between Clinton and Obama?

Sure, that makes us dependent on the media. So new? So got any alternative? (I do, we should own the media, collectively, and we could do it, effectively. Nothing stopping us but inertia. It would be a good investment, done right. Alternative: we don't own the media, but we are well advised as to which media to trust. Same difference. I prefer the ownership, because, then, there is no conflict of interest, we wouldn't prefer bad advice to a small loss in share value, except that the loss won't happen; the more trustworthy we find the media, the more useful it becomes, and thus the greater the value, including economic value.)

This places part of the election process outside of the election itself,
but we already do this with Plurality.

Yes. It's normal. We need to remember that voting systems are a special solution to a special problem: the difficulty of managing full deliberative process when the scale is large. As such, we should try to imitate deliberative process, to the extent practical. Asset Voting is a totally new idea that is actually old, but which escaped notice, turning any election into a deliberative process using chosen representatives as distinct from elected ones.

Short of Asset, what Range does is to imitate various participation strategies: strong preferences tend to lead to strong negotiating positions, even a pretense of "gotta have it." I.e., bullet voting. Weaker preferences *or a desire for overall satisfaction,* which is a normal human behavior, to value social satisfaction even above one's personal satisfaction, provided the personal loss is perceived as small compared to the overall social gain, leads to full initial disclosure of accurate utilities.

The voting pattern reflects two things:

(1) Preference strength.
(2) How much effort the voter is willing to put into being accurate, which is related to (1).

I.e., what we've been calling "strategic voting" in Range may be more sincere than we realize! It modifies the linear transformation of utilities into votes, it becomes more sensitive to strong preference and less sensitive to weak, but that is not a bad result, necessarily.

And the most that's needed as a protection is a majority approval requirement. Hence runoff forms of Range. Voting systems theorists almost completely missed this in the search for ideal methods, because completing in one round was considered essential. It's actually a severe and unnecessary restriction; it simply has a cost, and it's possible to keep that cost low, lower than the value of the improved results, when runoffs are needed.

It's possible that a good Range method would so rarely need a runoff, and would only choose second-best in the presence of only a small difference in social utility from that winner and the best, that runoffs wouldn't be worth it. If we had runoff Range operating, we could measure this with real elections. Until then, we need more and better simulations.

We need simulations that will predict truncation. We need simulations that will predict turnout. The models don't have to be perfect, some modelling is better than none. We know that, in a runoff special election, the idea that runoff turnout is always poor is false when voters have a very strong preference, such as the Lizard v. the Wizard or the similar Chirac v. Le Pen runoff elections, where final turnout exceeded that of the primary. The reverse should be true: low preference strength equals low turnout in runoff election *and that is not a bad thing.*

So many false or weak assumptions, so little time!

>From the first message:

> "Frontrunner strategy" is a common one that seems
> to help with ranked methods as well as Range ones. Make sure
> you cast a maximally effective vote for a frontrunner, and,
> where "against" matters, against the worst one.
> Usually there are only two frontrunners, so it's easy.
> "Expectation" is actually tricky if one
> doesn't have knowledge of the electorate's general
> response to the present election situation. How do you
> determine "expectation." Mean utility of the
> candidates is totally naive and non-optimal.

Mean utility is supposed to be naive, and it is optimal, if you are
"naive" about win odds.

I know that this (mean voting strategy in Approval) has been proposed, but it's a poor model. A voter who is "naive" about win odds is a voter who is so out of touch with the real world that we must wonder about the depth of the voter's judgment of the candidates themselves!

This naive voter has no idea if the voter's own preferences are normal, or completely isolated from those of other voters. This is far, far from a typical voter, and imagining that most voters will follow this naive strategy is ... quite a stretch, don't you think?

Instead, most voters will, in fact, assume that their own preference are reasonably normal, and this will indicate a far different strategy to them than mean utility. They will bullet vote, in the presence of significant preference between the favorite and other candidates, *and this is known to happen*, even when voting systems give them other options. The exception will be when the preference is low. Making that call can be a difficult choice. Did we claim that voters should only be presented with easy choices?

Other voters will know that they have unusual or idiosyncratic preferences, and they will vote accordingly.

So in Saari's example, the supposed "nutty" voter is the only one out of 10,000 voters who votes a reasonable strategy! -- he or she approves the supposedly "mediocre" candidate. If this voter had voted the "I'm normal strategy," there would have been a tie between Best and Mediocre -- because this is how all of the 9,999 other voters voted. Saari should have been so thoroughly discredited by that paper, "Is Approval Voting an Unmitigated Evil," that he'd have had trouble getting anything else published.

Smith claims that Saari is right on in many ways, and that sometimes he writes much better. Maybe. All I know is that in that particular paper, which is almost entirely polemic without solid foundation, he went way outside academic norms and standards.

"Better than expectation" is mean *weighted* utility. You weight the
utilities by the expected odds that each candidate will win. (There is
an assumption in there about these odds being proportional to the odds
that your vote can break a tie.)

Sure. That's the correct understanding of "mean utility." It means a reasonable expectation of the outcome. However, what's incorrect is assuming that voters have no idea of the probably votes of others.

Being human, each voter is a sample human, and more likely to represent the views of other humans than not. This is a far more accurate model of human behavior than the assumption that candidate preferences are random, which only would be true in a simulation that assigns the preferences that way. Voters are members of society, and not independent in the sense that their choices can't be predicted, with some level of accuracy, by those of a sample, even a sample as small as one voter.

By this argument, the rational vote, zero-knowledge, is the bullet vote. This happens to be the vote that has the best probability of favorably affecting the outcome (i.e., if the voter is the last voter). We've done it backwards. The default vote should be a bullet vote, and only in the presence of significant strategic considerations should the voter deviate from that.

Now, if the voter has low preference between two candidates, one of them the favorite, when the preference strength is low enough, the voter may indeed approve both of them. But this is far from Saari's example, where the middle candidate was equally placed between the best and worst ("mediocre"), not "almost as good as the best."

Or if the voter has some sense of the other voters that leads the voter to conclude that the voter's personal preferences don't reflect the overall ones, then the voter will consider strategy to address that situation.

And for the voter's sample to be only one voter would require that the voter doesn't discuss the election with anyone! Indeed, because birds of a feather flock together, voters are quite likely to have a biased view of the overall preferences, tending toward bullet voting, again.

So most voters, we can think, under current conditions, will bullet vote. Fantasies that large numbers will approve mediocre candidates based on a stupid strategy is just that: a fantasy, an example of how naive game theory can fall flat on its face. Won't happen. Bullet Voting *will* happen.

"Frontrunner strategy" is just a special case of "better than
expectation," where only two candidates are expected to have any chance
of winning.

Sure. There remains the issue of how to rate a middle candidate. I think that the "mean strategy" overlooks other factors, including what might be called "absolute approval." I.e., if I absolutely disapprove of a candidate -- never mind the other options -- in that I would not want it to be in my history that I voted for him or her, I won't, no matter what the math tells me. I'll listen to my gut instead of the math, because it's more likely, in fact, that the math is wrong than that the gut is wrong. The "gut" was developed over millions of years of evolution, where making wrong decisions was life or death, or starvation or nutrition, and the math is how old? The "gut" does use math, in a sense, Warren is right. But it's VNM utilities, probably, that it follows.

> But it's a complex issue. My point is that "better
> than expectation" has been taken to mean "average
> of the candidates," which is poor strategy, any wonder
> that it comes up with mediocre results?

"Average of the candidates" is the special case of "better than
expectation," where there is no information on candidates' win odds.

Which is a non-existent situation, unless you posit radically artificial conditions. "No idea of probable outcomes" is rare in the real world, it mostly crops up with gambling, where random choice is artificially created. And, indeed, we can make bad decisions under those conditions, assuming, as would be natural and generally correct, dealing with nature, that we can improve our performance the more we play the game!

What I'm pointing out is that the voter's knowledge of himself or herself is adequate for a better default "zero-knowledge" strategy than "mean utility of the candidates."

In Range, i.e., Range N with N>1, I'd rate, candidates, "sincerely," i.e., with reasonable accuracy, but with some bias towards approval strategy, perhaps. I.e., the transform from utilities to range votes might be linear, except that the transformation is truncated, possibly at the top and bottom. In particular, I'd be unlikely to give candidates I'd not like to see win the election, purely on their own, any positive rating at all.

But we overlook, in these analyses, that most voters don't know enough to "sincerely rate" all the candidates. As Carroll noticed, most voters may know their favorite, maybe their favorite's main opponents, and that's it. So what do you do, how do you vote, when you don't recognize the candidate?

Naively, Warren Smith thinks you might abstain, and he wants to see average Range rather than sum of votes range (Sum of votes range usually treats an abstention as a bottom rating, though it could be, for example, midrange, as it was in the MSNBC polls.)

However, only voting for candidates I recognize and approving the best of these and not the worst, is a kind of frontrunner strategy, for the best-known candidates tend to be the frontrunners. I may only know one candidate (Carroll's realization), my favorite. Bullet voting is my response, as it should be.

What we have done, too often, is to study voting systems through their theoretical performance in preposterously rare situations. As I've written many times, a very common objection to Approval Voting, including among experts, is Majority Criterion failure. Yet MC failure with Approval is, in the vast majority of real political elections, highly unlikely, because of the preponderance of bullet voting, and when it happens, it's hardly a disaster (only if the majority were drastically misinformed about themselves would it be a mediocre result). (By definition, the supporters of frontrunners when there are only two, have no incentive to add additional approvals unless they don't mind that these votes, by some miracle, elect a minor party candidate. So bullet voting when the voters are voting for a frontrunner can be expected, it would be the norm. It's only when voters prefer a minor party candidate that we will see an increase in the usage of additional votes, and this is true for optional ranked systems. I should look at the Australian OPV data, but the reported data doesn't show truncation in votes for the top two. I do know that ballot exhaustion is *common* with OPV, which would mean bullet voters who *don't* vote for a frontrunner.

We have to realize this: many or most voters will ordinarily vote for one candidate, and habit isn't the only cause for this, it is probably better strategy for the majority of voters than a naive "mean of the candidates."

And, of course, we can then see Saari's example as the piece of preposterousness that it is. If two voters out of 9,999 vote this very common strategy -- under Plurality, where it's costly if wrong! --, which we have every reason to think will be normal, certainly not rare, the Best wins.

> > The big concern is what happens when poll stability
> can't be achieved.
>
> Nah! Most voters won't pay that much attention to
> polls, they will just vote their gut. Polls will be used by
> those who are very seriously involved, who want to maximize
> the power of their vote. I think most of the "big
> concern" is simply imagination. There won't be big
> surprises with Approval. Little ones, sure.

I use the term "polls" loosely. It is hard to imagine that under any
election method, voters in this recent election might not have realized
that the important contest was McCain vs. Obama.

And I can't think of an exception. Probably the closest would have been Ross Perot. Some people may have voted for him thinking he could win. But I think most realized exactly what they were doing. They simply didn't have enough preference between Bush Sr. and Clinton to make it worthwhile to them to drop the value of the statement of a vote for Perot.

To emphasize this, we have been diverted by the idea that "strategic voting" is a bad thing, instead of looking at what's underneath the hood: preference strength. If you don't have significant preference strength involved, you don't bother with utility maximization, you don't care enough even if you are *certain* that it will be A or B, you'd rather vote for C for other reasons. In a preferential method, *some* of you will vote for A or B. Some won't. How many of each? *Depends on preference strength.*

The idea that preference strength was useless, the easy rejection of it because it wasn't "practical," the claim that "voters will exaggerate," all this diverted us from this large gray pachyderm in our main living space. Preference strength drives voter behavior, and preference strength is behind voter turnout (particularly in special elections), and how voters choose to vote.

If voters "vote their gut" and don't consciously use any strategy, I'd
say this will be well beyond the point where polls have already taken
their toll and removed unviable candidates from the voters'
consciousness.

But it happens without polls! That a candidate isn't "in the voter's consciousness" is the worst nightmare of campaign managers. "Bad publicity is better than no publicity."

Consider this: in real IRV elections, nonpartisan is important, vote transfers seem to behave, where I've looked, as if the supporters of an eliminated candidate are a representative sample of all the other voters, i.e., their lower preferences will match, generally.

I was astonished to see this, in fact, it was a totally unexpected result. But if you think about it, it makes a great deal of sense. In nonpartisan elections, there isn't some automatic means for voters to connect candidates. It's easy for a Green Party supporter to assume that a Democrat will be a better choice than a Republican. Take the party markers away, what's left?

The candidates themselves, and the combination of their character as viewed by the public, to some degree their policies, and how well they are known.

For whatever reason, the vote transfers tend to not alter the social order among the remaining candidates, so the first round leader wins the election. No exception, so far, in nonpartisan IRV elections in the U.S. -- which is the large bulk of nonpartisan elections. It's quite different with Top Two Runoff, where the runner-up wins the runoff in about one-third of elections. At this point, the sample size is small enough that this could be some statistical fluke. But it's actually a known effect in Australia. "Comeback elections" remain relatively rare, even with partisan elections (which the Australian PV elections are), and it is practically unknown (totally? as I recall, maybe one or two elections in the last century?) for the first round third place candidate to win.

Using Approval isn't going to magically increase the voter awareness for minor candidates! The only system I know of that gives these candidates a real chance, except under quite unusual circumstances, some sea change, is Top Two Runoff, which better simulates deliberative process. So ... we should be following that clue. Require a majority approve a result, *at least* for an election to be decided on the first ballot. Use better methods for discovering a majority if one can be found in the votes, i.e., use Bucklin or a Condorcet method instead of IRV, and better methods of picking what happens in the runoff. I've been making Range/Condorcet hybrid proposals. Asset, though, finesses the whole mess. One election to pick the electors, and the electors handle the rest, and can use as many ballots as they choose. With public voters, the whole secret ballot/security/counting expense thing goes away.

I absolutely want voters to pay attention to polls, because if they don't,
this is probably the same as the polls being unable to stabilize around
two frontrunners. And the results of such elections would be rather
arbitrary, I would guess.

Only when preference strengths are small! Give me a large enough preference strength, I don't give a fig about polls! And I think that's true of most voters.

So the "oscillation," the lack of stability, will only take place when the choice isn't terribly important to most voters. Like most voters, I'd guess, in this last Presidential election, what was most important to me was that a Democrat win. I.e., I had *intrinsic* low preference among the major Democratic candidates, I'd have supported any of them. I came to favor Obama, early on, but for a combination of electability and an assessment of him as a person. Clinton had -- as the MSNBC polls showed -- too many negatives, not so much personally, but as to electability.

Please don't give me an open primary, the IRV supporters' suggestions that IRV could replace primaries and general elections with a single ballot is very, very dangerous. Range might do it, but I'd *insist* on a true majority approving the winner.

> In plurality
> Approval, strategy based on polls would loom larger. Sure,
> it could oscillate. But how large would the osciallations
> be?

The only situation I'm concerned about is where, when the polls report
that A and B are the frontrunners, this causes voters to shift their
approvals so that the frontrunners change, and when the polls report
this, the voters react again, etc., etc.

Of course. Except it's not going to happen. Voters will overstate their tendency to bullet vote in the polls. Voters will only approve more than one when they have lower than a certain threshold of preference strength, and even there, it's questionable how much they will do it unless they really have no significant preference, it's hard for them to state a preference between two, so they approve both.

Further, the results don't shift the way you seem to expect. A and B are the frontrunners, a poll shows. How do voters respond? One common response would be no response. Then there are the supporters of C. They get this news, they now plan to add a vote for A or B, from their prior bullet vote for C.

There is only one class of voter who will shift their vote: those who already preferred a frontrunner, but who, in ignorance of this situation, already approved both. You have to understand that this is an unusual situation, in itself. Most voters in early polls will bullet vote, unless preference strength is low, and if preference strength is low, they aren't likely to stop approving both. But voters who did vote like this may raise their approval cutoff to reflect how they probably should have voted in the first place!

Sure, it could oscillate. But only if most voters have low preference between A and B. In which case it doesn't matter that much who wins! Sure, the choice would then be somewhat arbitrary. This is Approval, after all, the terminally simple Range 1. It's like a control mechanism with only two motor speeds: Off or Full-On. Such systems will oscillate under some conditions, oversteering. In Range, even Range 2, the response is damped. If, in an initial poll, I rated Obama 1 and Clinton 1 -- our unusual situation, I wouldn't have done that in reality -- I'd not drop Clinton to -1 if a poll showed them running neck and neck, I'd have dropped her to 0.5. Now, in reality, I did, in fact, rate Clinton at 0 -- midrange -- in the MSNBC poll. And finding out that they were running neck and neck, I don't think it would have shifted my rating at all. (Remember, I've got other candidates rated too, some at 1 or 0.5, some at zero, this was a "primary poll," not for the election itself.) Allowing intermediate responses will reduce oscillation. The idea that everyone is going to want to go full-on for their favorite against everyone else is just as preposterous as the idea that everyone will add additional preferences.

Instead, even with Approval, the results are damped, through averaging. People aren't the same, will respond differently, so the average Approval votes will tend toward Range results.

(Like an analog to digital converter that collects a lot of 0s and 1s based on a comparator output, where the voltage of interest is compared with either a random voltage in some range or is swept. Either way, if the random distribution is correct, the sum of outputs of the comparator will vary quasi-linearly with the analog voltage being studied even though all the "votes" are binary.

In other words, when we study Approval using limited examples that assume large numbers of voters voting identically, and switching their votes identically, we get a much poorer image of the method than some simulation that imitates the varying underlying utilities and approval cutoffs, the latter being a process of feedback, of interaction between absolute utilities and their probability-modified VNM versions.

This process is part of how a participating electorate seeks and finds compromise. It's much better than raw voting system theory might predict. It considers and measures preference strength, not directly, but through the outputs, the votes.

 Obviously it wouldn't be as
neat as that (in my simulation, not everyone is allowed to change their
vote at the same time; they receive random opportunities). But I guess
the result is that there would ultimately be more than two frontrunners
in the voters' consciousness.

Actually, in real elections, there may be only one. The incumbent advantage is a real one, and difficult to overcome, and it's not even clear that it *should* be overcome. I prefer Asset, though, because it bypasses the whole can of worms. Vote for your favorite, period. Don't trust your favorite to carry on in your place? Why, then, are you voting for such an untrustworthy person? The qualification for office *generally* implies qualification for delegating responsibility and authority. I.e., for choosing who will hold the office. Real officeholders, especially major offices, must be able to delegate authority; someone very good at the office, as to what they *personally* do, but who doesn't know whom to trust, can be a disaster, vulnerable to unscrupulous staff or associates. So the only reason that I can think of that one would vote for someone considered untrustworthy is a system that doesn't allow voting for the true favorite; the "favorite" in this case is a lesser evil, not actually trusted. And if the voter has *nobody* whom the voter can trust, given the vast freedom in a mature Asset system, well, there are two responses, and, beyond that, TANSTAAFL.

(1) Adjust medication.
(2) Register as an elector and vote for yourself.

> And, in the end, the winner is the candidate accepted by
> the most voters.

But when one (such as myself, and I think also you) portrays Approval as
a strategy game, under which "sincerity" is a red herring, a statement
like the above falls very flat. What does it mean to be "accepted" by the
most voters?

It means that the voters literally "accepted" -- which is an *action*, not a sentiment, sincerity has practically nothing to do with it -- the candidate.

It's possible to have a Range system where the voter specifies a value that is an approval cutoff. So the voter could vote with total sincerity, accurately representing preferences. The approval cutoff is a separate decision, and that cutoff is *always* a strategic decision. You are offered $159,000 for your house. Do you accept? You answer will depend on what you think you can get, you will generally approve better than your expectation, and not approve what is below your expectation. Expectation, not "desire." It's pure judgment, or should be!

Approval is *partly* a strategy game, but not entirely. The same is true for Range. We may assume, with Range, for example, that all expressed preferences are sincere. (Exceptions would be rare, largely moot). So "preference expression" is sincere in both Approval and Range. The "game" aspect has to do with where to set the approval cutoff. With Range, and in particular with hi-res Range, we can treat a rating of 100% as indicating a favorite, or a candidate so close to the favorite that there is no difference worth considering, because the strategic value of voting 100 vs. 99 is so low that we might as well forget about it. (And it's possible to have preference markers in Range where voters can indicate pure preference or precedence within a rating. There are actually some simple, practical possibilities for doing this. I just don't think that those markers are necessary once the range resolution is high enough.)

Kevin, you've neglected this: the votes in Range and Approval reflect both sincerity and strategy, a mix. You can infer certain preferences from them, and those inferences will generally be accurate. The strategic part has to do with what the voter is concealing as to preference, or simply not disclosing. We don't know if this is strategic or accurate.

Call it Later No Harm! It's the same idea, really. The voter isn't disclosing certain preferences, for whatever reason. Do we want preference disclosure to be cost-free? I'd suggest that this is not a good idea, it introduces noise into the system more than it increases information. Remember, the big concern about Range is supposed to be "vulnerable to strategy." Behind this is an assumption that "exaggerating" is insincere, since, supposedly, it's cost-free. But it isn't cost-free, unless it's moot!

In a three-way election, approval A and B against C, you've just abstained from the AB election, in favor of defeating C. There was a cost to the "exaggeration," if that is what it was. There is a cost either way, but .... when the number of voters is small, it turns out, the optimal strategy is the bullet vote. The incremental utility gets smaller and smaller as the number of voters increases (and this is relative utility, with the assumption that the vote affects the result, so this effect is compounded by the increasing rarity of ties and near-ties), but it never disappears. That optimal strategy is such when the middle candidate has an exact middle utility. I've not studied the other cases. But my sense is that as the middle utility moves toward A, the optimal vote moves toward double Approval. Has to be, I'd think, because if the utility gap goes to zero, the optimal vote is obviously double Approval, 100% guarantee of no regret over the vote.

Another example, by the way, of how "mean candidate" is a bad Approval zero-knowledge strategy. It has to be probability modified, and the voter's own preference *must* be considered to weight the probability, since the voter is a member of the electorate, and if all other voters are unknown, we still have a net vote weighted, by one vote, toward our voter's position.

If candidates were at least obtaining majority approval, I could be
content with the statement. But if no one obtains a majority, offering as
consolation that the most "accepted" candidate won is not much more
comforting under Approval than under Plurality.

This is an argument for requiring a majority, isn't it? Sure. However, suppose there is some other threshold than "more than half" of the ballots approving. Set this threshold at X.

Whatever X is, that one candidate exceeds it with a greater margin is "more comforting" *on average* than that, say, the other candidate be chosen. Absolutely, this might not be much improvement. Take the California gubernatorial election with its bizarre number of candidates. Make it approval. (not a bad idea, actually, certainly better than what they did!). If the winner has 17% of the vote, whereas with Plurality it would have been 15%, sure, not very comforting.

Plurality is an anomaly. No business may be decided, in deliberative process, with less than a majority, of those voting, voting for it. "Voting for it" is "accepting it." Using Approval Voting doesn't change that one bit. So Plurality voting has only to do with multiple-choice questions, and is only used where it is impractical to use repeated balloting, and this has been specified in the bylaws.

I consider, it should be made clear, requiring a majority to be so important that I'd not replace Top Two Runoff, with all its defects, with Approval Voting. Instead, I'd suggest: use Approval or other method, such as Bucklin or Range with specified approval cutoff, for the primary, reducing the need for runoffs.

And Top Two Runoff is much better than we have thought, particularly if write-in votes are allowed in the runoff, and it gets even better if advanced methods are used in the primary and runoff.

Bucklin runoff with write-ins allowed, two-rank, totally cool. Easy to count. Sure, if voters bullet vote for the write-in, there could easily be majority failure. No limited-ballot system is going to be perfect, Range and hybrid methods just get as close as is possible.

But who is likely to bullet vote for a write-in in a runoff election between the top two candidates from the first ballot? One of those candidates was, say, the Range winner, and one is a Condorcet winner if different -- or there was no Condorcet winner beating a Range winner, so it's top two Range, nobody having gained a majority. Bucklin would allow voters limited LNH protection: vote for a favored write-in, then for the favored candidate on the ballot. Wouldn't you?

(I.e., if you thought that somehow something went wrong with the first election, the best candidate got eliminated, which would be vanishingly rare with a Range/Condorcet runoff system, or everyone got low approval so a new campaign is needed, you can still mount a write-in campaign without spoiling the election. There haven't *really* been any eliminations, only restricted ballot position, thus the method gets closer to pure deliberative process, where no possible compromise is every ruled out until a final decision has been made.)

> It's not going to be a terrible result,
> if Approval falls flat on its face, it elects a mediocre
> candidate because the voters didn't get the strategy
> right.

Well, what is a "terrible result" after all? It seems to me you don't
have to be too picky to find methods that only fail by electing mediocre
candidates.

When ranked methods fail, they can fail spectacularly, and with sincere votes. It gets unusual, to be sure, with better ranked methods (it may be as high as 10% failure with IRV, under nonpartisan conditions, but most of those failures will also be of minor effect.)

I really shouldn't have written "mediocre." Rather, Approval can elect a "less controversial" candidate, which perhaps many or even most of the voters would judge a "more mediocre" result than the best candidate, were all the preferences accurately known. Saari used "mediocre" to refer to a candidate with mean utility between the best and worst, as seen by the vast majority of voters. It's correct, that would be a "mediocre" winner. Better than the worst case for ranked methods.

(Or, perhaps I should say, "some ranked methods." Borda, for starters, looks like a ranked method but is more accurately a ratings method with a highly restricted way of expressing the ratings. I'm not familiar with *how bad* Condorcet methods can fail. Generally, with reasonable distributions of candidates, the difference between a Condorcet winner and a Range winner are small. So I've had in mind a method like IRV, where the winner could be opposed by two-thirds of the voters, and that could be a maximally strong preference -- they will revolt! -- and that's with sincere votes. Strategic voting could, indeed, improve the results.)

> What type of voter is bad for Approval? Easy compromiser or
> tough bullet voter?

The type of voter who is willing to cast a suboptimal vote due to
principle. It is harmful under Plurality and here is a situation where
it would be harmful under Approval.

What does that mean?

Here is what I get from it. The Nader voter cast a supposedly "suboptimal vote" under Plurality. For principle, i.e., the importance of voting for the best candidate, in one's opinion.

Is that the meaning? But who are we to say that this vote was suboptimal? Remember, the campaign rhetoric, by Nader, was that it didn't matter who won, Bush or Gore, they were both totally in the pocket of the large corporations. So why can't we just assume that the voter made an *optimal* decision? From the voter's perspective.

Or does this mean the voter who supports Nader, but who *does* have a reasonably strong preference between Gore and Nader, and decides to vote that?

Note that these situations apply to Approval. Both scenarios will happen with Approval just as with Plurality. In the first situation, i.e., Nader is believed, there is no incentive to add a vote for Gore or Bush.

(We presume that the Nader voter would vote for Gore, but if there is no difference, why one over the other? And if there is a difference, why in the world does the voter prefer Nader, who has just tried to feed him some nonsense? A believe that all politicians, including Nader, are going to lie? That, my friends, is why the American electorate voted in large numbers for Bush, when they knew he was lying. They all lie, after all, so why not vote for the one who tells you the lies you want to hear, since he'll perhaps feel some need to follow up on *some* of those promises, more than the other guy, who if he does what he says he will do, you won't like it.)

In Approval, the second situation doesn't create a big conflict, that's the improvement. With Bucklin, the remaining conflict is resolved, the voter can vote first preference and then indicate alternate choices. But, still, voters, including minor party supporters, will bullet vote, some percentage of them. And almost all those who truly prefer a major candidate will bullet vote.