Dave Ketchum wrote:
So, you do not like the word "campaign".

Suppose I take an interest in becoming mayor of Owego.

This will require my neighbors learning this, and something of what I might do as mayor.

What shall we call this getting the word out, if not campaigning?

Because parties are usually involved, those of us sharing thought will call ourselves the "People's Party", though it does nothing outside our village.

My neighbors must learn this to be able to vote for me.

I think his point is that by using other methods, you may get around this apparent necessity. For instance, Owego might pick a "Representative House" by lot (Athenian model) and that House elects the mayor in a parliamentary fashion; or it might use a recursive selection process where you convince a small council you're the best among them to stand, then a small council made up of the suceeding candidates of the previous councils, and so on up to mayor. In both cases, you "get the word out" to a subset of the people - in the former, to the random assembly, and in the latter, to the intersection of councils that you end up being a part of.