Dermot Cochran wrote:

On 30 Apr 2009, at 17:24, Raph Frank wrote:

Another option would be to have the voter submit a ranked ballot and
also have an "approval threshold" candidate.  All candidates ranked
higher than that psuedo-candidate would be considered approved.
However, that gives voters less freedom to approve across party
boundaries (or less freedom to interfere with who is elected for other
parties, depending on your viewpoint).

It would seem intuitive that candidates with preferences are deemed approved, and that candidates without any preference assigned are non-approved. For example of there are 10 candidates and I rank only nine, rather than giving a tenth preference for my least favorite candidate, that that would imply non-approval.
I disagree.  A voter could very well have preferences like

A (100) > B (90) > C (80) > D (60) >> E (20) > F (0)

in which they wouldn't vote for E on an Approval ballot but still have a strong enough preference for E>F to be worth expressing.