On Jan 21, 2010, at 8:58 PM, Terry Bouricius wrote:

Kathy,

I ask that you stop smearing me on this (and other) discussion lists.

"rots o' ruk."

I did not alter any standard definition of "spoilers." Webster's online
for example defines it as:
"1. A candidate with no chance of winning but who may draw enough votes to
prevent one of the leading candidates from winning."

This means a spoiler is a non-leading candidate with almost no chance of winning (I think the term "minor" is a fair way of stating that concisely) and not "one of the leading candidates." Note also that the concept of having a "chance" to win suggests the term can be applied prospectively, prior to knowing what the ballots reveal. Kurt Wright, being perceived as a likely winners and who was in first place in the initial tally had an EXCELLENT chance of winning, and almost did in the runoff, and thus does
not meet the standard definition of a "spoiler."

Terry, you may have read that i take some responsibility for also associating Wright as the spoiler by replacing "almost no chance of winning" to "having lost" in the definition. and i know that they are not the same thing.

strictly speaking, Kurt Wright was not a spoiler because it is uncontroversial whether or not he had a chance of winning.

that said, i believe that a spoiler-lite (a candidate who loses and whose presence in an election changes who the winner is) problem is still a problem. i think, in these parts, we call it "Independence of irrelevant alternatives". IIA is "spoiler-lite" even if it is not always the spoiler scenario.

--

r b-j                  r...@audioimagination.com