At 08:32 PM 4/10/2010, Kevin Venzke wrote:
In a given election yes, it is easy to miss the mark. But in general,
aiming for the median voter is the most reliable. (That is assuming you
don't know utilities, which I'm really not sure you showed how to find.)
To see this, you assume utility is based on issue space distance, and
that the voters aren't distributed unevenly.

I didn't show how to find utilities, I only showed various possibilities consistent with the votes.

To study voting system performance, I'm saying, one must *start* from utilities, not from preference order without preference strength information. Voter behavior is not predictable without preference strength information. Strategy, in general, doesn't make sense without an understanding of preference strength.

Thus when you have a situation where every voter chimed in on some
question, and they didn't do that for any other question, you should
expect (on average) a utility problem when the outcome goes against the
majority opinion.

I'll agree that this is the "norm." However, it can go drastically wrong.

How can we detect the exceptions?

Sure, the majority criterion and the condorcet criterion are usually a sign of good performance, but it is obvious that exceptions exist, and we should not denigrate a voting system if it, under an exception condition, it violates the criteria!

I was just pointing out that the outcome you claimed was obviously bad wasn't. It might be that, on average, this outcome would be poorer than the other, but it was not a truly bad outcome, under reasonable assumptions of likely utility, the first utility scenario I gave, which used Range 2 utilities, i.e., normalized and rounded off so as to make all the votes sincere and sensible. The bullet voters then had equal bottom utilities for the other candidates, and those who ranked had stepped utilities. Simple. And showing that A was, indeed (with these assumptions, which seem middle-of-the-road to me), the utility maximizer, by a fairly good margin!

You can make a contrary assumption, that the A voters were "strategic." That they "really" would be happy with B. I'm assuming, instead, that their votes would be sincere. And likewise the votes of the other voters.

Look, A *almost* has a majority in first preference. I'm very suspicious of claims that an election outcome is "terrible" if it depends on some close-shave majority that failed. Certainly the 2000 U.S Presidential election outcome was awful, from my partisan point of view, but I have to understand that about half the people wanted Bush. The real problem is electing officers by public elections, with long fixed terms!

(It's a continuation of the concept of a King, only restricted to four-year terms. No corporation would hire a President like that.)

Rather, have chosen representation (per Asset Voting, but a good proportional representation system wouldn't be terrible), and elect officers deliberatively, majority required (in the Assembly) to serve at the will of the people, as expressed through their representatives. Parliamentary system.