At 05:23 PM 4/21/2010, Terry Bouricius wrote:
Abd has made much of a proposal of Charles Dodgson tweaking STV by allowing candidates to assign exhausted ballots...but that is NOT the system that Dodgson's name is normally attached to. His name is attached to a Condorcet method (but not knowing of Condorcet's prior invention) using a matrix in which each cell was a fraction with a numerator was the number of voters who ranked the row option ahead of the column option, and the denominator was the number of voters whose column option ahead of the row option. He proposed that cycles not be settled, but rather that this would result in "no election."

Thanks, Terry.

This would explain the discrepancy between Mr. Myers' comments and mine and Mr. Quinn's. I'm not familiar with Dodgson's Condorcet method, which is obviously a single-winner method. It's interesting that he considered "no election" a possible outcome, that would be in line with what he would know of standard deliberative process.

It is not Asset which is "computationally infeasible," but, perhaps, this particular Condorcet method. Asset, of course, is a device for reducing the number of voters in an election to a set of public voters, who handle electing any seats not directly elected by the voters through vote transfers without eliminations (strictly, eliminations can be used, until all ballots are exhausted while not having been completely used for election, these exhausted ballots then become the "property," at their "unspent" value, of the candidate in first position, I presume, whether or not this candidate has been elected). If all one wants is to finish an election, it is possible that the Droop quota could be used, but I prefer the simplicity of the Hare quota in terms of what it means for the voting power of members and how that relates to the number of voters who supported, directly or indirectly, a candidate. If the Droop quota is used, and the number of electors is relatively small, then an extra seat might be elected, should the electors with remaining votes end up agreeing on someone to carry this voting power in the elected assembly. I prefer to aim for the higher number as a limit, and then there is no question of the value of each elector's vote.

This becomes important if, for later process, direct voting is to be allowed by electors. Asset makes that possible.