31: A>B
32: B>C
37: C>A

Approvals:  B63,  A68,  C69.   A>B>C>A.

TACC elects A, but C is positionally the dominant candidate and pairwise beats A.

For a Condorcet method with pretension to mathematical elegance, I don't see how that
can be justified.

Chris Benham

PS:  Could someone please refresh our memories: What is the "Banks Set"?

From Jobst Heitzig (March 2005):

ROACC (Random Order Acrobatic Chain Climbing):
1. Sort the candidates into a random order.
2. Starting with an empty "chain of candidates", consider each candidate in the above order. When the candidate defeats all candidates already in the chain, add her at the top of the chain.
The last added candidate wins.

The good thing about ROACC is that it is both
- monotonic and
- the winner is in the Banks Set,
in particular, the winner is uncovered and thus the method is Smith-, Pareto-, and Condorcet-efficient.

Until yesterday ROACC was the only way I knew of to choose an uncovered candidate in a monotonic way. But Forest's idea of needles tells us that it can be done also in another way. The only difference is that in step 1 we use approval scores instead of a random process:

TACC (Total Approval Chain Climbing):
1. Sort the candidates by increasing total approval.
2. Exactly as above.

The main differences in properties are: TACC is deterministic where ROACC was randomized, and TACC respects approval information where ROACC only uses the defeat information. And, most important: TACC is clone-proof where ROACC was not! That was something Forest and I tried to fix without violating monotonicity but failed. More precisely, ROACC was only weakly clone-proof in the sense that cloning cannot change the set of possible winners but can change the actual probabilites of winning. With TACC, this makes no difference since it is deterministic and so the set of possible winners consists of only one candidate anyway.