I counter-recommend git. I don't like it. If you like the new 'distributed
version control' system style, I recommend Mercurial. code.google.com also
supports mercurial.

My own election simulator is also up on google code, also with subversion.

It's kinda hidden inside my project for multi-language (C/Java/perl) election
method implementation library.

http://code.google.com/p/voteutil/

http://code.google.com/p/voteutil/source/browse/#svn%2Fsim_one_seat