On 9.6.2011, at 4.51, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Juho Laatu wrote:
>> On 8.6.2011, at 16.15, Jameson Quinn wrote:

>>> 2. Voters submit approval ballots, with up to two write-ins. "Do not
>>> delegate" is a valid write-in.
>>
>> Your definition seems to define also the used ballot format. That's ok
>> although often the formal descriptions of methods don't cover this. Note
>> that most countries of the world don't use the write-in option. Is this a
>> recommendation that if they start using SODA they should support write-ins
>> in general or that they should have a write-in slot to support the "do not
>> delegate" feature?
>>
> Nothing said here of ballot format except for being Approval and capable of
> two write-ins.  "Do not delegate" is a command entered as if a write-in.

I was thinking about the write-ins. They were actually mentioned already in the
previous bullet, but this bullet said that there should be two such slots. I
guessed that if there are such write-in slots, maybe there is also an
assumption that regular candidate names are listed next to the write-ins. I
could at least guess what kind of ballot was intended.

Alternatives to what I described above could include ballots and elections that
do not recognize write-ins (I guess write-ins are not an essential part of the
SODA method anyway). One could also e.g. vote based on candidate numbers and
white ballots to write those numbers in. I thus considered the ballot format
that I imagined based on the description to be maybe one good approach but not
the only possible or mandatory format for SODA.

Juho