just a quick comment on a minor point:

 IRV may be a counterexample, but I suspect that (1) it has only been
> adopted in very "liberal" cities,

I don't think that's because they're liberal, per se, but rather because
they were burned by the 2000 election. We'll see how it works after a
conservative Nader throws a national election to the Democrats. (Of course,
right now, Republicans go out of their way to at least apear to kow-tow to
the conservative base, while Obama goes out of his way to at least appear to
distinguish himself from the liberal base, so Republicans have far less need
for a third-party candidate. But that can change.)

JQ