On 9.7.2011, at 22.23, fsimm...@pcc.edu wrote:

> Here's an idea.
>
> First pick a party (with full knowledge who the candidates are in each party).
>
> Then hold an open "primary" to pick the winning candidate from the winning
> party.

This sounds like a two-phase single winner election. The first used
single-winner method should maybe be such that it elects major parties only
(i.e. no "weak" compromise parties). I'm not sure the short description yet
guarantees a two-party rule. The idea of ordering a "late primary" is an
interesting approach to allowing multiple candidates for each party but still
keeping the method simple (two election days probably needed but otherwise nice
and clear).

Juho