----- Original Message -----
From: Kristofer Munsterhjelm
Date: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:12 pm
Subject: Re: [EM] Centrist vs. non-Centrists (was A distance based method)
To: fsimm...@pcc.edu
Cc: Jameson Quinn , election-methods@lists.electorama.com

> fsimm...@pcc.edu wrote:
>
> > Of course if we have a multiwinner method, we don't want all
> of the
> > winners concentrated in the center of the population. That's
> why we
> > have Proportional Repsentation.
> >
> > Also the purpose of stochastic single winner methods
> ("lotteries") is
> > to spread the probability around to avoid the tyranny of the
> > majority.
>
> I think you said that these are related, even: that PR methods
> and
> stochastic single-winner methods are similar, seeking
> proportionality
> (the former in seats, the latter in time).

Precisely.  Andy Jennings was the one who hit on the key idea for constructing
a lottery directly from a
PR method; just do an N-winner PR method for large N, and treat the candidates
like we treat parties in
a party list method; keep the candidates in the running after they have already
won a seat.  Then the
number of seats won by the candidate divided by the total number of seats is
the candidate's probability
in the lottery.