On Aug 5, 2011, at 11:13 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:
2011/8/5 Dave Ketchum <da...@clarityconnect.com>
On Aug 5, 2011, at 10:22 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:
2011/8/5 Dave Ketchum <da...@clarityconnect.com>
Brought out for special thought:
rating is easier than ranking. You can express this computationally, by saying that ranking requires O(n²) pairwise comparisons of candidates (or perhaps for some autistic savants who heap-sort in their head, O[n log(n)]), while rating requires O(n) comparisons of candidates against an absolute scale. You can express it empirically; this has been confirmed by ballot spoilage rates, speed, and self-report in study after study.

This somehow does not fit as to rating vs ranking. I look at A and B, doing comparisons as needed, and assign each a value to use: . For ranking the values can show which exist: A<B, A=B, or A>B, and can be used as is unless they need to be converted to whatever format may be acceptable.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this sentence.

The ballot counter, seeing A and B each ranked, is going to step a count for A<B or A>B if A is less than B or A is greater than B - which difference exists matters but the magnitude of the differences is of no interest.

Dave Ketchum

I'm sorry. You're talking about during the counting phase. I was talking about the algorithm going on in the voter's head. Assuming that "how good is candidate X on this absolute scale?" is an atomic operation, and "is X better than Y" is another one.

"good" and "better" are not clear to me. "How important" fits better as the reason the voter is assigning a higher rank.

.     For rating the values need to be scaled.

There is no need to scale rating values for MJ. In fact, it is not the intention. A vote of "Nader=Poor, Gore=Good, Bush=Fair" is perfectly valid and probably fully strategic even on a ballot which includes "Unacceptable, Poor, Fair, Good, Excellent".

Thus what needs doing is a trivial bit of extra effort for rating. The comparison effort was shared.

"Ballot spoilage rates" also puzzle. Where can I find what magic lets non-Condorcet have less such than Condorcet, for I do not believe such magic exists, unless Condorcet is given undeserved problems.

Right, I was thinking of strict ranking when I wrote that part.