Nov 2011 23:05:49 -0700
> From: matt welland <m...@kiatoa.com>

> I wasn't clear. I want to hear opinions from the list: Is approval
> better or worse than IRV and why?

Approval is a far superior system to FPTP and IRV because approval:

1. unlike FPTP and IRV, it solves the spoiler problem of a nonwinning
candidate altering who would otherwise win;

2. unlike IRV, it is precinct-summable and easy to manually
statistically audit for accuracy and so preserves or allows for
timely, understandable, election accuracy verification;

3. unlike IRV, it looks at all the candidate choices of all voters,
thus treating all voters' votes equally and fairly and is thus
monotonic;

4. unlike IRV, it is simple to implement using the same ballot style
as FPTP, with a fairly simple programming change in the tally program;

5. unlike IRV, it preserves the rights of voters to have their votes
counted fairly and equally with other voters and to participate in the
final counting rounds (final decision-making process);

6.  unlike IRV, It is very simple for voters to figure out how to best
strategize (i.e. for single-winner elections, If your favorite
candidate is one of the top-two most likely vote-getters, bullet vote.
Otherwise, vote for both your favorite(s) and one of the likely
top-two vote getters. In other words, the simple principle is that a
vote for your 2nd choice candidate may cause the 2nd choice, rather
than your 1st choice candidate to win, so vote for a 2nd, 3rd,...
choice if you don't mind them winning the contest.)

7,  unlike IRV, it increases the chances of a popular 3rd party
candidate winning rather than being a system for keeping the smaller
party candidates from interfering with the 2 major parties (true once
people figure out how to strategize with IRV by ranking one of the 2
major party candidates 1st)

In other words, approval voting is administratively, educationally,
and technically simple and equitable, and thus doable - and unlike IRV
actually makes substantial improvements over FPTP because it solves
the spoiler problem and does not create nonmonotonicity and huge
administrative, technical, auditability and other practical problems.

--

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections
http://kathydopp.com/wordpress/?p=174

View some of my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051