On 21 Dec 2011 I proposed this criterion:

*The winner must come from the smallest set S of candidates about which
the following is true: the number of ballots on which all the members
(or sole member) is voted strictly above all the non-member candidates
is greater than the number of ballots on which a (any)   non-member
candidate is voted strictly above all the members of S.*

That is fairly clear, but the wording could perhaps be improved, say:

*If the number of ballots on which some set S of candidates is voted strictly above all the candidates outside S is greater than the number of ballots on which all the members of S are voted below equal-top (i.e. strictly below some/any outside-S candidate), then the winner must come from S.*

I tentatively suggested the name "Add-Top Proofed Solid Coalition Majority". A bit less clumsy would be "Add-Top Proofed Mutual Majority". Maybe there is a better name that either does without the word "Majority" or includes another word that qualifies it. For the time being I'll stick with Add-Top Proofed Mutual Majority (ATPMM)

I gave this example:

45: A>B
20: A=B
32: B
03: D

My criterion says that the winner must be A, but Mike Ossipoff's MTA method elects B.

I did endorse MTA as an improvement on MCA, but since it (and not MCA) fails this (what I consider to be very important) criterion (and is also a bit more complicated than MCA) I now withdraw that endorsement. I still acknowledge that MTA may be a bit more "strategically comfortable" for voters, but I can't give that factor enough weight to make MTA acceptable or win its comparison with MCA.

Chris Benham