On 01/25/2012 01:01 AM, Jameson Quinn wrote:
Does anyone have any references of academic papers that talk about the
relationship between the honest CW and the honest Range winner? Ie, when
are they necessarily the same or not? For instance, in a spatial model
(voronoi diagram)? I want to mention this relation in the paper I'm
working on, but I don't have room to get distracted proving things about it.

In a spatial model, preferences are based on distance. So if you want each point to be associated with the closest candidate, un-normalized Range will do what you want. Normalized range won't, though Warren says the differences are small.

Similarly, the Condorcet candidate will be the closest candidate to the point if voters are distributed centrosymmetrically around the point to which candidate distance is measured. Warren shows that and gives some references at http://rangevoting.org/BlackSingle.html .

I can't find any papers that mention Yee diagrams in particular.